Since the start, Northern.tech has operated as a distributed organization of people working from a variety of locations and countries, both on-site and remotely.
What is it like to be a remote worker here?
According to our remote workers, it's great!
As we have done this for some time, we have the experience and tools to make sure being a remote worker remains a great experience. Below is some advice from our remote workers on how to succeed in the company working remotely, while having an enjoyable life:
- Live by your own and the company’s beliefs
- Create a clear structure for your work-day/week
- Be diligent about notifications and what information to subscribe to (we share a lot!)
- Make sure to attend our company social events when possible
- Be mindful about your written communication (use emojis and avoid ambiguity). Take pride in what you send to others: your text replaces your in-person emotions and reactions
- Make sure to meet up with people (anyone you like!) during the work week
- Start the day early, or late – whichever suits you best. Just make sure to attend the required meetings!
- Use our #thank-you Slack channel frequently to thank your colleagues for their work and help. It will make you feel happy and connected too!
Why work remotely?
There are many good reasons for creating a model and culture that facilitates remote work. From our company's perspective the best reasons are:
Better applicants to choose from. By not being restricted by geography, we can hire the best people regardless of where they live.
We can offer around the clock operations as people work from different time zones, typically from early morning in Eastern Europe to the evening in the Pacific time zone.
Increased diversity. Hiring from around the world opens us up to a diverse workforce with all the nice benefits that stem from different viewpoints and experiences.
Technology gradually diminishes the need and value of physical presence in order to work effectively. We believe the amount of smart people who greatly value their own time (not spending it on commuting) and appreciate space over location (not forced to pay high prices for central locations) grows fast.
It makes sense financially. Workers are paid according to local market levels.
How we make remote work a success
At Northern.tech we share a common set of beliefs that we hope resonate with the whole team. This is why our recruitment process has a cultural alignment track focusing on this. Sharing beliefs and values helps us to align and work together well, no matter where we are!
We also rely on a certain amount services and tooling need to be in place in order to work well remotely; everything from helping you have a nice home office setup with fast internet connectivity, to collaboration tools like Slack, Google for work, JIRA, and more. We are not tied to specific tools – everything is open to improvement and can be easily replaced. The ability to change often and fast is key to success not only for the remote team, but the company as a whole.
If you are up for the challenge of our mission and are inspired by our working culture and values, we'd love for you to get in touch with us.
Take a look at our current open positions.