We take pride in our people-oriented culture and values. In alignment to our mission of making this world a safer place by securing the world’s connected devices; we have also committed ourselves to continuously broaden our social impact by engaging with/donating to organizations working towards humanitarian, social, welfare & environmental causes.
When it comes to our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR); we take inspiration from United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDG) and approach it as a collective team effort with concretely positive results. We take a holistic approach that starts from our focus on internal wellness & growth which naturally becomes our driving force to give/share with the society on an individual level.
Our Commitment to People at Northern.tech
In Northern.tech, we’re driven by our people-centric beliefs & value-creation model. We believe that by focusing on and investing in establishing a healthy, sustainable, and progressive ecosystem we shall be able to provide our people a place to naturally grow and prosper while achieving meaningful objectives/goals.
One of our fundamental goals is to maintain a workplace that is free of any discrimination whatsoever - all people must be treated equally.
Freedom of speech/expression is a fundamental human right and we are committed to ensuring that within our organization everyone feels absolutely free to be and express themselves exactly as they want. We don't want anyone to feel afraid or discouraged from speaking up in a professional/social meeting as it would both be a tragedy, and counterproductive.
Corporate goals change, what we did yesterday may not be relevant or the right thing to do today. Therefore, we believe in changing processes, not our people. If someone wants/needs to improve in certain areas, we add dedicated efforts to finding ways of making it happen; as opposed to shoehorning people into existing processes.
The journey itself should be the goal. Even if a business changes completely, we should be able to take pride in our collective work and accomplishments. We don’t want to achieve excellence at the expense of the well-being of our most important stakeholders i.e. our employees. We want our people to be happy about their work and achievements on a continuous basis. It is our belief that a healthy and progressive workplace naturally leads to professional excellence.
We also want to contribute towards personal, intellectual and professional growth of all our employees/interns and therefore, everyone is encouraged to request relevant books and/or courses at the company’s expense. This also includes fully-covered language courses/classes for our employees who migrate to Norway at any point during their tenure with us.
We encourage and sponsor several social events across the year. This includes events happening in our main offices (Oslo/San Francisco) as well as our remote-employees arranging a sole/team event of their own. We also sponsor online activities that bring people together, such as online gaming/socializing equipment.
Northern.tech was born and is headquartered in Norway. All our employees in Norway are subject/entitled to the Norwegian Labor Laws. We believe that it's a great set of regulations with a people-first mindset; as it ensures both the important privileges and strong protections for the employees, in areas such as working conditions, hours, vacation, health, and employment status.
Therefore, we decided to broaden the benefits of Norwegian labor laws to all of our employees, contractors and interns regardless of their demographics.
Our motivation behind this decision was to ensure protection and wellness of our remote workers distributed around the world; who often receive less protection by their local system because they work as self-employed contractors. It should not matter where anyone is from; our belief is that everyone deserves the same set of privileges and protections.
Our Commitment to Global Welfare Programs
Our approach here is unique and inclusive. Each time a short/long term company objective is achieved, we make a donation to a charity/non-profit organization chosen by one of our team members. This cycle continues until a donation is made over the choice of each one of our employees.
Our inspiration for this approach is simple: We want our employees to be the decision-makers of where and how we should be making a positive impact. Since our company is composed of people from around the world; we have been able to learn a lot about, and contribute towards a diversified number of welfare programs running in different parts of the world.
Currently, we are directly or indirectly contributing towards the following 12 of the 17 UN’s goals by:
- Partnering with/donating to globally distributed non-profit organizations dedicatedly working towards one or more of these goals
- Partnering with/providing professional services to globally distributed businesses dedicatedly focused towards addressing one or more of these goals
- Using these goals as our inspiration/guidelines towards shaping-up/growing our entire organization and its subsidiaries, its systems of governance, how we do things internally and our way of doing business with the external entities.
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
We aspire to take concrete steps to add the remaining 5 goals, in our list of direct or indirect contributions as soon as it is practically possible for our organization to achieve them.
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
- Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
It is our conscious decision not to reveal the detailed information about the projects/organizations we work with since it’s not our intention to gain a perceived advantage from our dedicated work towards the betterment of the global community.
Having said that, we are happy to share more details with the individuals/companies who reach out and are interested in learning more about our positive impact on the society.
Our Commitment to the Environment
We believe that the Climate change is real and it’s our responsibility both on a corporate and individual level to do our part towards its mitigation.
Therefore; we have set an ambitious company-objective to “Become a net-zero carbon business by the end of 2022”. We have formed a dedicated task force to calculate our collective carbon footprints as accurately as possible and take concrete measures to achieve neutrality with a focus on scaling up our efforts and positioning ourselves in a surplus.
We plan on sharing our achievements in this regard with our stakeholders, partners and customers in the year 2023.