Do you see the beauty of highly automated IT operations? Do you have a passion and a track record of ensuring the highest possible software quality? Do you take pride in offering quality software?
To strengthen our engineering team, we are looking for a Software Automation Engineer who will be working closely with our development team to ensure our test processes are integrated with our CI system and fully automated. You are not expected to develop and maintain everything yourself, and you should have delegating and project management skills to incentivize engineers to improve the CI/CD pipelines. Our goal is to become among the leanest IT delivery organizations in the world and be able to deploy production-ready code on each code commit, thanks to fully automated workflows.
Our two award-winning products, CFEngine and Mender, run mission-critical operations in some of the largest organizations in the world. Our customers expect the quality of our software to be of the highest quality, and we seek someone who is up for this critical challenge.
In this position, you will:
- Own and maintain QA backlog
- Estimate, prioritize, plan and coordinate testing activities and projects
- Work with the Product Manager to understand how new features should be tested and to contribute to automated tests for these new features
- Work with software engineers to define and implement mechanisms to inject testing earlier into the software development process
- Prioritize QA and release work and delegate tasks
- Hands-on develop and maintain our existing test automation frameworks and improve test coverage across various configurations
- Develop new tests and tools for automatically testing the Mender client, backend, APIs, and services
- Configure automated tests to execute reliably and efficiently in our CI/CD environments
- Design, develop and maintain, build, test, and release tools and keep those aligned with the release processes of our products
- Define, communicate and enforce quality standards and metrics for processes and deliverables
- Identify and drive the adoption of best practices in code health, testability, and maintainability
- Be responsible for building and maintaining a culture of quality
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience testing software on embedded Linux boards (RPi, i.MX, Nvidia, Beaglebone. …)
- Thorough experience developing in Python and/or Golang
- Working knowledge of Docker and, preferably, Kubernetes
- Practical knowledge of industry-standard CI tools like GitLab CI, Jenkins, Bamboo, or CircleCI
- Comfortable with browser-based end-to-end test automation tools like Playwright
- Experience with Git and its command line
- Interest in growing your knowledge and skills in Test Environment Provisioning and Configuring (Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes, GCP / AWS)
- Knowledge of clean code and the test pyramid and championing these concepts
- Have the "automation DNA" to proactively fix problems and minimize manual work
- Can communicate well with developers, operations, and product members and convey messages and issues
- Delegating and project management skills
- Have an entrepreneurial attitude, proactively get things done, and are creative in finding new and better ways of doing things
Northern.tech is an international and innovative team based in Oslo, Norway and California, USA who have set out on a mission to “Secure the World’s Connected Devices.”
We have a strong belief in our company culture, and think that every day at work should be enjoyable and meaningful.
We’re looking for team players. We’re looking for people who love to learn. We’re looking for optimists. We’re looking for those who bring out the best in others. We’re looking for people who can grow. We’re looking for people who are different.
- Fair pay & benefits
- Flexible working hours & vacation time
- Generous parental and family leave
Apply for this position
If you believe you are a good fit for the position and will thrive in our working culture, please leave your details and resume below.
We believe that everyone should be treated equally and with respect while working with us, and during the hiring experience. Learn more about our application process.